Bluebird

Bluebird

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

It's 2044 and the world is an overcrowded and dark place to live. Oasis, a virtual reality utopia, is where most people go to escape. You can go to thousands of worlds--and it feels real! When the creator of the Oasis and many other video games dies, he leaves control of his company and his immense fortune to anyone who can solve his puzzles to find the "easter egg" he's hidden in Oasis. While likely to be most enjoyed by computer/video/arcade game "geeks", I think this will appeal to anyone who grew up in or around the 1980's and had any interest in the culture of the times--not just games and computers. I never played video or arcade games (not even Pac Man) and never owned an Atari, but I still enjoyed this book immensely! It's a great homage to 1980's pop culture (actually it covers some of the 70's and 90's as well). So many fun memories came to me while reading this--my favorite of all the references was to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but if you have fond memories from television, movies, or music of the times it's probably mentioned in here. I read this via audio book and Wil Wheaton was an excellent choice. I've no doubt that his narration is the reason why it got 5 stars from me.